What are the continuing education requirements for license renewal in Washington?
- 30 hours, every 3 years; Minimum 5 hours each year must be taken
- At least 15 hours in Contact Lenses
Allows Internet CE? Yes
Is Optical Training Institute an approved continuing education provider in Washington?
Yes, licensed opticians in Washington can take any of our online continuing education courses on our website.
What is the Optician Development Program approved for in Washington?
At this time, ODP is not approved in the state of Washington for apprenticeship alignment. The program can be taken for training and ABO-NCLE exam preparation purposes only.
What are the requirements to become a licensed optician in Washington?
WAC 246-824-040 Licensure eligibility
To be eligible for licensure, applicants must:
(1) Be eighteen years or more of age;
(2) Graduate from an accredited high school or receive a general equivalency degree;
(3) Complete one of the following:
(a) At least six thousand hours of certified apprenticeship training that must be completed in no less than three years as required under chapter 18.34 RCW; or
(b) An accredited opticianry course as described in WAC 246-824-050; or
(c) Been principally engaged in practicing as a dispensing optician not in the state of Washington for five years;
(4) Successfully pass one of the following examinations:
(a) The state examination offered on or before August 31, 2017;
(b) On or after June 1, 2015, the basic competency examination, basic contact lens examination, and the practical examinations from ABO-NCLE. This requirement can also be met by successfully passing the ABO-NCLE advanced competency examination, advanced contact lens examination, and the practical examinations on or after June 1, 2015; and
(5) Meet any other requirements in law.
For more information: Dispensing Optician Licensing Information | Washington State Department of Health
What exams are required in Washington to become a licensed optician?
Successfully passing one of the following options:
- Passing of the state examination offered
- Passing of the basic competency examination, basic contact lens examination, and the practical examinations from ABO-NCLE
- Passing of the ABO-NCLE advanced competency examination, advanced contact lens examination, and the practical examinations
How can you contact the Washington state board?
Washington State Department of Health
Licensing and Renewals
Phone: (360) 236-4700
Email: [email protected]