What are the continuing education requirements for license renewal in Vermont?
- 10 hours, every 2 years
- Internet CEs allowed: Yes
Is Optical Training Institute an approved continuing education provider in Vermont?
Yes, licensed opticians in Vermont can take any of our online continuing education courses on our website.
What is the Optician Development Program approved for in Vermont?
At this time, ODP is not approved in the state of Vermont for apprenticeship alignment. The program can be taken for training and ABO-NCLE exam preparation purposes only.
What are the requirements to become a licensed optician in Vermont?
Section 2672. Qualifications
A person shall not be licensed under this chapter, except as otherwise provided in this chapter, unless he or she has obtained a high school education or its equivalent and:
- Education. Has completed:
- at least two-year course of study in a school of ophthalmic dispensing approved by the Director or a school that is a candidate for accreditation by an accreditation agency approved by the U.S. Department of Education and by the Director;
- at least two years of practical training and experience, approved by the Director, under the supervision of a licensed optician, ophthalmologist, or optometrist; or
- the National Academy of Opticianry Ophthalmic Career Progression Program, including at least one year of practical training and experience, approved by the Director, under the supervision of a licensed optician, ophthalmologist, or optometrist; and
- Examination. Has passed an examination recognized by the Director that shall include assessment of competency in ophthalmic materials; laboratory, practical, and physiological optics; prescriptions interpretation; dispensing preparation; adjustment of lenses, spectacles, eyeglasses, prisms, tinted lenses, and appurtenances; the use of lensometers or equivalent instruments; adjusting instruments; and pupillary and facial measurements
For more information: Professions and Occupations (vermont.gov)
What exams are required in Vermont to become a licensed optician?
Passing of the opticianry National Opticianry Competency Examination (NOCE) offered by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) is required.
Passing of the state practical examination.
How can you contact the Vermont state board?
Vermont Secretary of State
Office of Professional Regulation
Phone: (802) 828-1505
128 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633