What are the continuing education requirements for license renewal in South Carolina?
- Licensed Optician: 4 hours
- 1 hour can be in Practice Management (annually)
- Optician with Contact Lens License: 5 hours
- 1 hour in Contact Lenses (annually)
Internet CE allowed?
- No, OTI’s courses will not fulfill requirements
Is Optical Training Institute an approved continuing education provider in South Carolina?
No, state licensed opticians cannot complete online courses to fulfill their renewal requirements.
What is the Optician Development Program approved for in South Carolina?
ODP fulfills the requirement listed in Section 40-38-240 (2)(a): received a certificate from a two-year school of opticianry approved by the board.
What are the requirements to become a licensed optician in South Carolina?
Section 40-38-240. Qualifications for licensure as optician or contact lens optician
- A person is qualified to receive a certificate of licensure as an optician if the person has:
- graduated from an accredited public or private high school or secondary school of equal grade approved by the board or has completed an equivalent course of study approved by the board.
- (a) received a certificate from a two-year school of opticianry approved by the board;
(b) a currently valid optician’s license in another state;
(c) been engaged in opticianry for not less than two years in a state that does not license opticians; or
(d) had two years’ apprenticeship under a South Carolina licensed optician, optometrist, or ophthalmologist. The board must approve in writing an apprenticeship before the apprenticeship commences, and the regulations of the board apply to the apprentice.
- satisfactorily passed an examination conducted or recognized by the board and shows proficiency in processing a lens, frame, or any other optical device or appurtenance in accordance with an optometrist’s or physician’s prescription. Processing does not mean those tasks and functions in surface grinding performed by persons who work in a wholesale laboratory.
Having met the requirements of this subsection and upon payment of a licensure fee established by the board in regulation, the board shall issue a certificate of licensure and shall enter the person in the board register as licensed to work as an optician.
(B) A person is qualified to receive a certificate of licensure as a contact lens optician who has:
- met all the requirements of subsection (A); and
- satisfactorily passed a written qualifying contact lens examination conducted or recognized by the board.
Having met the requirements of this subsection and upon payment of a licensure fee established by board in regulation, the board shall issue a certificate of licensure and shall enter the person in the board register as licensed to work as a contact lens dispensing optician
For more information: SCLLR
What exams are required in South Carolina to become a licensed optician?
Passing of the National Opticianry Competency Examination offered by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) is required.
Passing of the South Carolina Practical Opticianry Examination
How can you contact the South Carolina state board?
Board of Examiners in Opticianry
Phone: (803) 896-4681
Email: [email protected]
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, SC 29210