What are the continuing education requirements for license renewal in Rhode Island?
- 12 hours, every 2 years
Allows internet CE? Yes
Is Optical Training Institute an approved continuing education provider in Rhode Island?
Yes, licensed opticians in Rhode Island can take any of our online continuing education courses on our website.
What is the Optician Development Program approved for in Rhode Island?
At this time, ODP is not approved in the state of Rhode Island for apprenticeship alignment. The program can be taken for training and ABO-NCLE exam preparation purposes only.
What are the requirements to become a licensed optician in Rhode Island?
- Completed Application with Cover Page - Applications are valid for 1 year from the day they are received at RIDOH. If you are not licensed within the year you must submit a new application.
- Check or money order (preferred), made payable (in U.S. funds only) to the RI General Treasurer in the amount of $30.00 and attached to the upper left-hand corner of the first (Top) page of the application. THIS APPLICATION FEE IS NONREFUNDABLE.
- Successful completion of the written and practical examinations from the American Board of Opticianry (ABO).
- To register for the exams please visit https://www.abo-ncle.org. Scores/Certification must be sent directly from the American Board of Opticianry. Massachusetts licensees who have successfully completed a practical exam with “The Learning Curve” must have results sent directly from The Learning Curve or Massachusetts Opticianry Board to the RI Board of Opticianry.
- Official transcript from an accredited school of Opticianry (two (2) year program)
- Certification of completion of at least a two (2)-year apprenticeship program from another state (Please Note: Rhode Island does not have an apprenticeship program).
- Verification of at least one (1)-year licensure in another state (Use Interstate Verification Form enclosed in this application for this purpose).
- Notarized verification of at least one (1)-year of opticianry employment in a state of licensure or other state.
- High School transcript sent directly from the high school to the RI Board of Opticianry.
- If you have ever been licensed in another state, license verification(s) must be sent directly from the state(s) in which you hold or have held a license. (Interstate Verification Form included in this application can be used for that purpose)
- If applying for expedited military status you must include one of the following: Leave Earning Statement (LES), Letter from Command, Copy of Orders or DD-214 showing honorable discharge.
For more information: License As An Optician by Endorsement Examination
What exams are required in Rhode Island to become a licensed optician?
Passing of the National Opticianry Competency Examination and the practical examination offered by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) are required.
How can you contact the Rhode Island state board?
State Dept of Health, Office of Health Professionals Regulation
Advisory Committee of Opticianry
3 Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02908-5097