What are the continuing education requirements for license renewal in Alaska?
10 hours, every 2 years OR 20 hours, every 2 years if dual-licensed (Spectacle and Contact Lens)
2 hours (maximum) in Business Management
Internet CE allowed? Yes
Is Optical Training Institute an approved continuing education provider in Alaska?
Yes, licensed opticians in Alaska can take any of our online continuing education courses on our website.
What is the Optician Development Program approved for in Alaska?
ODP fulfills the requirement listed in Section 08.71.110 (A)(4): has passed a course designated in the department’s regulations or by the department as being acceptable.
What are the requirements to become a licensed optician in Alaska?
Section 08.71.110 Qualification for licensure
(A) The board may issue a license to a person who
- has had education equivalent to four years attendance at a high school;
- has either
- completed at least 1,800 hours of training as an apprentice after registering with the department as an apprentice; or
- been engaged for at least 1,800 hours as a practicing optician in good standing in a state, territory, district, or possession of the United States
- has passed the national opticianry competency examination offered by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) in order to dispense eyeglasses and has passed the contact lens registry examination offered by the National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) in order to dispense contact lenses;
- has passed a course designated in the department’s regulations as being acceptable; and
- has paid the required license fee
(B) Graduation from an associate degree program in a recognized school or college of opticianry may be substituted for the experience required by (A)(2) and (4)
For more information: DOPStatutes.pdf (alaska.gov)
What exams are required in Alaska to become a licensed optician?
In order to dispense eyeglasses, passing of the national opticianry competency examination offered by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) is required.
In order to dispense contact lenses, passing of the contact lens registry examination offered by the National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) is required.
How can you contact the Alaska state board?
Department of Commerce, Community & Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business & Professional Licensing
Phone: (907) 465-2550
Email: [email protected]
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806