When to Say No to Contact Lenses
Debra Bennett has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. The content and format of this course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product or service.
Beyond the basic dispensing skills that every NCLE certified optician already knows and uses daily, this course presents more uncommon ocular problems and how they can interfere with or contraindicate contact lens use. Advanced knowledge of conditions, examinations, and treatments is presented. The course helps the ECP to better identify those ocular conditions that may lead to saying “no” to ensure patient safety.
- Recognize contraindicating problems
- Assess severity of a contraindication
- Recognize when to deny lens use when appropriate
- Determine how to educate patients regarding the necessity of “no”
- Apply compliance monitoring
- Analyze when safe contact lens use might be achieved