The Technology of Contact Lenses
Author: Debra Bennett, ABOC, NCLE-AC
Debra Bennett has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. The content and format of this course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product of service.
Eye care professionals (ECPs) will certainly need to answer questions that patients may have about wearing contact lenses instead of, or in addition to, spectacles. The information in this course will expand an ECP’s general knowledge so that they can respond with current and valuable information about this specialized optical technology. Using a broad perspective, the course contains historical, technical and practical dispensing information. It concludes with some experimental contact lenses or concepts that indicate a bright future for the contact lens industry.
● Identify basic lens designs and materials
● Describe the changing contact lens technologies
● Classify devices used in fitting contact lenses
● Match lens types with characteristics
● Recognize industry trends based on history
● Recommend new technology to solve patient needs
● Anticipate future technology for continued research
There is a 40-question test at the end of the course. A successful passing score of 80% is required on all ABO-NLCE continuing education courses in order to earn the designated number of credits. You will know your grade instantly after completing the course.