Instrumentation, Regulations and Standards
Debra Bennett has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. The content and format of this course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product or service.
An eye care professional is responsible for providing quality services to patients. The trust between patient and ECP is founded in providing reliable and safe eyewear. To that end, this course will help the optician gain a better understanding of the tools available to provide the best possible fit or repair to eyeglasses. The course will then discuss the regulations and standards that each ECP must follow to ensure that both legal and ethical standards are upheld. The course concludes with a review of HIPAA.
- Demonstrate the ability to use a lensometer, including methods to verify or neutralize a lens
- Review induced and prescribed prism, as well as how to split prism
- Compare tools and devices used in the optical dispensary
- Interpret the standards and regulations set out by agencies, both governmental and non-governmental
- Review ANSI tolerances for prescription ophthalmic lenses and ANSI publications