Dispensing to Children
Debra Bennett has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. The content and format of this course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product or service.
To fit a young, growing face with eyeglasses requires time and special attention. Additionally, the parents of a child must concur with the glasses chosen. This course will explain or refresh information for the eye care professional in correctly working with and fitting a child. Ocular deficiencies and problems will be explored with particular emphasis on age groupings. A review of phorias and tropias and the potential need for multifocals is discussed, following by the methods for presenting multiple pairs and special treatments. The course concludes with information regarding sports eyewear and safety concerns.
- Recognize why a child might need eyeglasses
- Identify the types of ocular and practical conditions that influence a purchase of eyeglasses
- Describe phorias, tropia, and other muscular conditions that might be treated with eyeglasses
- Recognize the need for bifocal lenses when fitting a child
- Review sports eyewear and safety needs for children