All About SiHy (Silicone Hydrogel Lenses)
Debra Bennett has no relevant financial relationships to disclose. The content and format of this course is presented without commercial bias and does not claim superiority of any commercial product or service.
Silicone Hydrogel (SiHy) was introduced in 1999 as the first contact lens material approved for continuous wear. It is also a popular daily wear lens; plus, SiHy is the material of choice for new wearers and re-fitted patients. The SiHy lens material provides comfort, good oxygen delivery and many other patient benefits not commonly seen in older materials.
- Recall the overall history and development of plastic contact lens materials
- Compare various polymers
- Choose a certain polymer that may be beneficial to a specific patient need
- Recognize technologies that distinguish SiHy lenses from older hydrogel lenses
- Recognize drawbacks of SiHy lenses
- Apply techniques to help prevent dry eye syndrome in patients who wear SiHy lenses
- Choose the Correct SiHy style
- Apply troubleshooting ideas
- Summarize knowledge regarding the future of SiHy and other advanced materials